Friday, September 10, 2010

Mennonite Potato Salad

Even though summer is slipping faster and faster away, I'm holding on.  Yesterday I wore a sundress to work (garnering quite a few comments) and today I'm making potato salad.  Maybe it will be sunny tomorrow and it won't be too weird to eat potato salad in September?  Whatever-this recipe is too delicious, it doesn't matter when you eat it.


What You'll Need
8 red potatoes, peeled and halved
10 eggs (at least!)
Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise
Whipping Cream (Heavy Cream)
salt & pepper
green onions chopped


Peel and boil your potatoes.  You can boil them with the skins on and then remove the skins after boiling.  I don't mind peeling potatoes, so I peeled mine before hand.  I also like to cut my potatoes in half-they seem to cook faster.



While the potatoes are cooking, hard boil the eggs.  Use a pinch of salt in your egg water to keep eggs from cracking!

Allow eggs and potatoes to cool.  One to two hours is usually long enough.  Peel eggs and slice into a large glass bowl.  Chop green onions and add to eggs.  Roughly chop the potatoes into bite size pieces and add to onions and eggs.  Stir to combine.


You can add radishes for extra crunch and zip! 



Then add Miracle Whip/mayonnaise and heavy cream to taste.  Some people like creamier potato salad (me) others like rougher salad.  So do what you like!  Add salt and pepper generously.









Put in fridge and let flavours meld for 8-24 hours.  I like to make this 1 day before I serve it for the best flavour.  Serve with a green onion or parsley garnish!






No comments: