Sunday, August 7, 2011

Warm Quinoa Salad

This is my first attempt making quinoa.  Luckily I have my lovely sister in law, Sil, visiting me and she uses quinoa frequently so she helped me out a lot with this recipe.  Also, if you're like me and are definitely pronouncing quinoa, 'kwinoha', you're not totally wrong.  Both 'kwinoah' and 'keenwah' are both appropriate pronunciations. 
But I think 'keenwah' is used more often.
 
Ok onto the recipe...
 
What you'll need
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped (not in oil)
1/2 cup chicken or veggie broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 tbls spoon lemon juice
1 tbls lemon zest
1/2 cup quinoa
4 green onions, chopped
a few sprigs parsely chopped (to taste)
 
 
Mince your garlic and chop your onion.

Check this cool vid to see a super handy way to chop onions fast!  Please ignore the background voices of Drew and Ty playing video game......
 
In case you couldn't tell, I'm the one with the man voice
 
In a sauce pan, heat 2 tbls of oil and put in the minced garlic and chopped onion and cook until onion is transparent and smells so delicious. 
 
While that's cooking, chop your sundried tomatoes and add to pot.  Pour in your broth and white wine and stir.
 
Add in the quinoa and cook on low-medium heat for 20 minutes.  I had never made quinoa before, so i assumed it would puff up more-it didn't.
 
Once it's done, remove from heat and stir in the green onions and parsley. and put in a pretty bowl!
I made this as the 'grain' in my meal.  I served if with my Beets & Greens Salad and BBQ Salmon and it complemented the meal really well.  I think if you wanted to served this as the grain, I would double the amount of quinoa and broth and wine. 


 

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yummers! I'm going to have to make this...maybe this week!