Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fish Veracruz

When Ty and I were on vacation in Puerto Vallarta this past May we stumbled upon a delicious dish I've been dying to make ever since we got back!  Fish Veracruz. 
Some days I wonder about this guy.  Just kidding, look at how cute he is in pic #3! 
I'm sure he'll be impressed that I used these!

If you google this recipe you'll be able to find many variations, mostly using a white fish in tomato sauce with olives, oregano and capers. None of the recipes I was able to find reminded me of what we ate in Puerto Vallarta. Here's a pic of what we had...
I didn't remember eating any olives or capers....so I was worried that this was one of those dishes I wouldn't be able to replicate.  But with some creative recipe blending and blind faith I created a really tasty version that I think is pretty close to the original!

What You'll Need
Vegetable oil
3-4 gloves minced garlic
Chili Powder
Taco Seasoning
Ground Cumin
1 medium onion
1 large green pepper
1 large can diced tomatoes
chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
capers (optional)

Pour some oil in a deep skillet and allow to heat.  Throw in garlic along with spices.  I used at least 1 tsp of chili powder, maybe 2 tbls of taco seasoning and a dash of cumin.  Once this is fragrant add in onions and green pepper and cook until tender.


Next up, dump in the can of tomatoes and bring to a boil. 
This is when I added the jalapenos.

 Simmer for a bit, maybe 5 minutes, and then add in your fish.  I used el-cheapo $8 frozen cod from Wal-Mart.  No joke.  I saw the fish at Wal-Mart and thought "Hmmm, hopefully it's not totally awful" and bought it!  I did partially thaw it before I put it into the sauce, which really lessened my cooking time!

If you want you can add those capers in now (I did).  Continue to simmer, covered for 10 minutes max (depending on the thickness of your fish, this will vary).  Then  it's time to eat.  You can serve this with rice, but I made a lot of fish so we just had it with mini corn tortillas on the side for the juice.


It is SOOOOOOO good!  It really reminded me of the version Ty and I had-Mission Accomplished!  My version was definitely spicier than the original, but that was fine with both of us!  This meal was so quick and easy to make it's going to be hard NOT to make it every week!

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage


3 comments:

Sandra said...

You know this looks very much like the Portuguese Caldeirada, which is a fish stew using red and green peppers and onions and tomatoes. It's delicious :)

Great recipe :)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Leslie,
Your Fish Veracruz looks amazing! I just love this recipe and can hardly wait to make it. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Amy said...

I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious! More recipes!!