Monday, September 12, 2011

Owl Rock Magnets

I am kicking butt at making projects I find on Pinterest.  I have made 3 things from my "Things to Make" Board!  Woo Hoo.  And these are really cute!
I just had to make these since we all know I have a bit of a thing for owls ...(I promise to take a picture of all the owlies/birds who now reside in our house soon)

These were SUPER easy to make.  Take in this gorgeous weather and go for a walk with your kids and let them pick rocks for you.  The flatter the better.  Then paint them all sorts of colours! Depending on the colour of paint you choose and the colour of the rock, you may need more than 1 coat.

Then get creative a paint some owly features on them.  Make sure you have a small paintbrush handy for those details.

I used sharpies to draw some features like beaks and the checkered bellies. WAY easier! Once all the details were done I used my handy glue gun to attach a button magnet to the back. Ta da!

And since I was giving these as a gift, I wanted a cute way to present them...think Leslie think.
I took the lid of an aluminum can, because it's metal and I knew the magnets would stick to it, but I wasn't sure how to keep the sharp edges from slicing the intended receiver.  Problem solved!

Glittery fabric.  I covered the one side (the inside that wasn't silver) with a piece of scrapbooking paper I hot glued down.  Then I hot glued the fabric to the front edge, making sure it looked nice.  Once the front was glued then I glued the fabric onto the scrapbook paper side! Voila!

This is a 2 part gift-stay tuned to see what I did with the can!  Another pinterest inspired project!

 
The Girl Creative




No comments: