Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tequila Lime Marinated Chicken

It has been such a beautiful start to September that I've kept right on BBQ-ing and making salads. This past week has been a constant 30 degrees Celsius (about 86 F) so cooking is not high on my priority list-especially the use of my oven. So I was happy I got to try this recipe before it got too rainy to BBQ.

What You Need
3 Tbls olive oil
2 Tbls minced green onion
1 Tbls minced cilantro
1 Tbls chili powder
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 C tequila
4 Tbls lime juice
salt & pepper
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, except for the chicken.  Put chicken breasts in a large plastic bag and pour marinade over.  Seal bag and let sit in the fridge for 3-4 hours.  Grill on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes each side. TA DA!

This is so simple! (as long as you remember to de-frost your chicken and get it ready early so it has time to marinate!)  I found the chili powder over powered the tequila/lime flavour, so I think next time I'll just pare it down to lime, tequila, maybe a bit of cilantro and salt and pepper. 
I served it with home made yam fries and basil garlic mayo (recipe below)


Yam Fries with Basil Garlic Mayo
Peel 3-4 yams.  Slice the yams legnth wise to create discs (this is easier said than done, make sure you have a sharp kinfe!).  Then slice these discs legnth wises again to create the fries.  Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with chili power and salt.  Bake for at least 30 minutes at 400 F.  The basil garlic mayo is adapted from Giarda De Laurentiis recipe found here.  I blended 3/4 C Miracle Whip with 1 Tbls lemon juice, 2 Tbls fresh minced basil, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 clove of garlic minced.  Stir well and chill in fridge for about an hour to allow flavours to meld!  So yummy, even Ty liked it!

Now hurry up and try this before summer is gone!

No comments: