Thursday, January 12, 2012

Homemade Scalloped Potatoes

This isn't my normal scalloped potatoes recipe.  I thought I had a copy of my family recipe, but I didn't.  So I did what any other normal 21st century woman would do-get out my iPhone and Google 'scalloped potato recipes".  And boy howdy did I find a gem!  This is from the Canadian Living website.

What You'll Need
6-8 Potatoes (I used red potatoes)
1 onion, sliced in rings
1/4 C butter
1/4 C flour
2 1/2 C milk
salt and pepper to taste
At least 1 C grated cheese

Prep
Peel and slice your potatoes thinly.  The thinner they are the more evenly they'll cook.  We don't want any crunchy potatoes.  Next slice your onion into rings.  Starting with the potatoes layer the potatoes and onions in a casserole dish ensuring that the top layer is potatoes.


In a small sauce pan melt the butter and carefully whisk in the flour to make a rue. Cook for about 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in the milk and cook until thickened about 5-8 minutes. 
Add in salt and pepper. 

 Remove from heat and stir in your grated cheese
(this is the secret ingredient!)
Once the sauce is ready, pour it over the potato/onion layers.  Using a spatula gently push potatoes so that the sauce gets down to the bottom of the casserole.
Bake covered for 1 hour at 350* F.  Remove cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until brown on top (I actually turned on the broiler for the last 10 minutes).
Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Scalloped potatoes are a great side dish, but work especially well with ham or meatloaf.  Stay tuned to see what I served with these scalloped potatoes!

It's a Keeper

1 comment:

Kristel said...

These potatoes look so delicious! I have a very similar recipe to this, and we all love it.