Sunday, March 11, 2012

Baking Brownies

If you follow my blog you know I cook. I don't bake-I cook. Baking is too finicky for me. You have to be precise to bake: ingredients, measurements, time.... Anywho it's not for me! Until I saw an absolutely scrumptious idea over at The Busy Budgeting Mama (again)! But the recipe is originally from the Recipe Girl! Why did it take me so long to find this amazing blog?!?!? Anywho at least I found it.

So here's my adventure in baking these chocolate chip brownies. Please note that I have posted my recipe (with a few tweaks). For the original check out The Recipe Girl.

What You Need:
Brownie
1/2 Cup Fry's Cocoa
1 Cup melted margarine
2 Cups packed brown sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Cup whole wheat flour

Cookie Dough Top
3/4 Cup room temperature margarine
3/4 Cup brown sugar
3/4 granulated white sugar
5 Tbls 1% Milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

To prepare the brownies, preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 9x13 glass casserole pan. In a large bowl melt your margarine and whisk in the brown sugar.
 

Next add in the eggs and vanilla. 


Whisk in the cocoa and make sure there are no lumps. Whisk in the flour until just mixed-don't over mix! 


Pour the brownie batter into the pan and bake for 25-35 minutes. I baked mine for only 25 minutes in the middle/top rack and 25 minutes was just right. Over baked brownies are never good! Make sure to allow the brownies to cool completely!
While that's baking, grab your room temperature margarine and with an electric mixer cream in the brown and white sugar.
 

This was tough for me, so REALLY make sure you have room temperature margarine or you'll regret it! Then add the milk and vanilla. My batter was too thick so I ended up using 5 tablespoons of milk! Finally mix in the flour until just combined. I needed to use a butter knife to scrape the batter off my beaters. Then I stirred in the chocolate chips.

Once the brownies are cooled spread the
cookie dough on top of the brownie bottom. 




Refrigerate until the top has set
(you can speed up the process in the freezer if need be). 


The firmer the dough the easier it is to cut-duh!


This was pretty easy to make, and if you have a lovely Kitchen Aide standup mixer, I know it will be way easier.  Plus you can make it right now.  Guarenteed!  If I have everything on hand to make these brownies, I'm sure you do it....so what are you waiting for?  Indulge that sweet tooth!

Jam HandsMyMeatlessMondaysKeeping It Simple


1 comment:

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I am a sucker for brownies, they are my all time fave. Now you've gone and added chocolate chip cookie dough on top? I'm a goner!
Holy Cannoli Recipes