Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Golden Beets

Ok I'm going to sound a bit like Rachael Ray here.  But sometimes I go to the grocery store ( read Costco) and I see things that blow my mind and I HAVE to buy them.  Today's treasure?  GOLDEN BEETS.  I don't think I've ever had golden beets NOT in a restaurant.  And they were like only $4!

Brown Sugar Glazed Golden Beets

What You Need
6-8 golden beets
1 tbl margarine
4 tbls brown sugar
3 tbls orange or apple juice
salt and pepper to taste 

First, boil the crap out of your beets.  Give 'em a good scrub and pop them in a sauce pan to boil.  I did about 30 minutes.  


Then you're going to "slip off the skins".  I've read a lot of beet recipes and they all say the same thing "slip off the skins"-they make it sound SO easy.  It wasn't. With a butter knife I kinda scraped/cut off some of the tougher skins, while using a paper towel to rub off some of the thinner ones.  It was a messy, time consuming process.  But I'd do it again because they're THAT good.


With my butter knife I roughly chopped 
the beets into bite size pieces.  


Combine the butter, brown sugar and orange juice in a sauté pan and bring to a boil.  Then add in the beets and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.


I dunno.  I guess I'm not very good at glazing because I cooked the crap outta those beets and the liquid didn't go anywhere.  Granted I was lazy and put everything back in the sauce pot instead of a pan.  Maybe that's the difference?  
Didn't matter they were still delicious.


Stay tuned, because I have an awesome pork recipe that I made with these veggies.  A perfect combo!

No comments: