Thursday, September 13, 2012

White Bean Turkey Chilli


It's no surprise to anyone who reads my blog, or randomly stops by, that I love to cook.  I love to try new recipes because it allows me to think outside the box and find new favourites.  Luckily my husband will eat pretty much anything so I'm in the clear.  This week I tried a new chilli recipe.  Nothing beats my Dad's Chilli, but this was an experiment & I think that he would've wanted to try this recipe too!

White Bean Turkey Chilli
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, diced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cans of navy beans
1/4 cup fresh chopped jalapeños (about 2 peppers)
1 tbs cumin
1 can sweet corn
1 cup white wine
2 cups vegetable/chicken broth
oregano
chilli powder

Sauté garlic and add in ground turkey.  

Cook on medium heat while breaking up the meat.  This is going into the crockpot, so don't over cook it!  
Remove from the skillet and put in the crock pot.  


Sauté the onion and celery until just softened-again this is going in the crock pot so don't over cook the veggies or else you're gonna end up with mush!  Add the veggies into the crock pot.
  

Add in remaining ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours.

The original recipe didn't have how much broth, so I chose 2 cups.  Unfortunately, as with so many crock pot recipes, the liquid never evaporates or thickens, so we ended up with white bean turkey soup instead of chilli.  I'm not sure how to thicken up the liquid next time around-if you have any great ideas please let me know!
It's a Keeper

1 comment:

Amy said...

You could always mix a little water and flour/cornstarch together and stir that into the chili to thicken it!