Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fake it Chicken Parm

This is one of those "throw it together cuz you got 20 minutes and you know its gonna turn out great" dinners.  I do that quite often (don't we all?) but sometimes I feel bad about posting these types of recipes.  Why, you might ask?  Well, mainly because a lot of it isn't from scratch BUT you can make this meal from things you have on hand, and I totally dig that!

What You'll Need
2 chicken breasts, cut in half
1 egg
milk
italian seasoned bread crumbs
cheese slices 
(I use marble because thats what I have on hand.  I think it's supposed to be mozzarella.)
plain spaghetti sauce 
(Prego in this household)

Whisk together the egg and milk in a shallow bowl.  Sprinkle a side/salad plate with the breadcrumbs.  Cut the chicken breasts in half length wise so you have 4 thin chicken breasts.

Dip the chicken in the egg/milk wash and then coat with bread crumbs and lay them in a glass baking dish.

Place the cheese slices evenly across the chicken.

And then pour the tomato sauce over the chicken.  There's no set amount so I can't tell you how much or how little to use.  
Go with your gut.


Bake for, I dunno, 20 minutes?  30 minutes.  
Depending on your oven.  Cut one in half and see where it's at.

I served this up with Grilled Asparagus, which I thought I had blogged about.  I kinda have but not really.  So here's what you need for my Easy Peasy Asparagus.

Trim the asparagus to remove the woody ends.
Throw on a baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Toss with some tongs (dear lord I love me some tongs) and then throw a little parmesan cheese. Toss again and bake during the last 10 minutes your chicken is baking.

These two things go SUPER well together!
And they look amazing on the plate too!

Hungry yet?  This is a great meal if you have kids who dance, or play hockey, or karate and have to get to practice by 7pm.  This is a fast, protein packed, and nutrient rich meal (try to ignore those breadcrumbs and cheese), but other than that it's all good!
Sumo's Sweet Stuff

No comments: