Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Easy Carmelized Onion & Spinach Bread

Is your mouth watering yet?  Yeah I know, right?!?!  This recipe was one of the many things I'd pinned on Pinterest.  I had everything I needed on hand so when my girlfriend invited me over for appys and wine (how can I turn that down) I decided to make this.  The Pinterest pin is kinda sketchy so here's the direct link.  It's a real easy quick bread and pretty darn tasty.

Here's what you need
3 tsp olive oil
1 large onion

salt

2 cups  fresh spinach

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 1/2 cups  flour
2 tsp baking powder

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup milk

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 oz. cheese- I used goat cheese but feta is recommended

Butter and flour for pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cut the onion in half and then slice the halves.  Put the sliced onions int he pan with a bit of salt.   Cook to soften, about 10 minutes, and then continue to  cook until the onions are golden brown, about 10 additional minutes.

While the onion is cooking  whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine eggs, lightly beaten, milk, and extra-virgin olive oil. Whisk well until combined.


Add about 1 teaspoon olive oil to the onions, then stir in garlic and spinach leaves. Stir until the spinach is wilted and bright green, it's not as long as you might think. Remove from heat.



Pour the flour mixture into the eggs mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix or the bread will become tough. Add the spinach mixture and cheese, and stir until just combined.

Butter a loaf pan. Spoon some into the pan and tap the flour around the pan. Shake out the excess. Scoop the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
Bake until the top is light golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out dry.  The original recipe callse for 35 to 40 minutes. I ended up baking mine for closer to 50 minutes.  Allow to cool and then remove the bread from the pan, and cool on a wire rack. I popped mine into a Tupperware so I could transport it over to Rachel's house.    I made some lemon-parsley compound butter to go with it-TASTY!  

Next time I'm going to make the same bread but with sliced jalapeños and strong cheddar cheese I think.  Like a knock off Cobbs!  I'll let you know how it goes!




No comments: