Friday, February 22, 2013

Thai Inspired Meatloaf

I found this AMAZING blog!  Seriously, amazing! I got so inspired that I made one of Beth's recipes already!  Luckily I had everything on hand already, which always makes life easier.

Thai Turkey Meatloaf
1 lb ground turkey
1 clove garlic, minced
3 green onions
1 Tbls ginger, minced
1 egg
1 1/2 Tbls soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup cooked jasmine rice

1 Tbls ketchup
1 Tbls siracha hot sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tbls vinegar

Preheat your oven to 375*F


Mince the ginger and garlic and chop the green onion and mix in a bowl with the ground turkey.   

Add in the soy sauce and sesame oil.  Crack in the egg, and cooked jasmine rice.  

With your hands mix all that goodness together!  It's going to be quite wet FYI. That's ok!


As per Beth's instructions I molded the meat mixture into a loaf on a baking sheet.  I did however use parchment paper to protect the baking sheet.  

Bake for about 15 minutes. 

While the loaf is baking mix together the sugar, vinegar, ketchup and siracha sauce.

After 15 minutes spoon on about half of the glaze and make for another 20 minutes.  Pour the remaining glaze over the meatloaf and bake for another 15-ish minutes.

Unfortunately I found that I over baked my meatloaf (I have put the correct cooking times here on the blog so don't worry!) and added too much rice.  The meatloaf was pretty flavourless (even with the soy sauce and ginger) but the glaze was awesome.  IF I make it again, I will double the glaze, season the turkey with salt and pepper and add more ginger, garlic and maybe some other goodies.  It was one of those recipes that sounds ahmahzing when you read it, but when you finally got around to eating it, it kinda fell flat.  What changes would you make to pep up this meatloaf?


No comments: