Monday, June 10, 2013

Old Skool Cooking

This past Christmas my Mum got me one of THE BEST gifts she ever could get me!  The 1979 edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook!  This is the same cookbook as the one my family used when I was growing up! 
My stroganoff recipe, my hamburger soup.....so many of my favourite meals are from this cookbook. Tyler and I had been craving sweet & sour meatballs so I pulled out this classic. And this recipe from Betty Crocker is pretty great.  
I hope you like it as much as I do!


Meatballs                                                     Sauce
1 pound lean ground beef                             1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup breadcrumbs                                     1 tbls flour 
1 egg                                                                1 can pineapple tidbits 
2 tbls minced onions                                     1 tbls soy sauce 
1 tsp worchestershire sauce                          1 green pepper
salt and pepper

Mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, worchestshire sauce and salt and pepper together in a large bowl - with your hands!  Roll the mixture into balls...I think I made about 18 ish?  


You can choose to pan fry them or bake them.  
I chose to bake them, since I had to make rice, peas and the sauce.  Pop those meatballs on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake them for 25 minutes at 400* F.  Flip them half way through for even browning.









While the meatballs are baking, start your rice.  I made Jasmine, because that's all I had in the house.  Once the rice gets going, start on the sauce.  

Dump 1/2 cup brown sugar and a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch.  Whisk that together and then add in your pineapple (fruit and juice) and the soy sauce.  Cook that until it thickens to your liking, maybe 10 minutes.  Then toss the cooked meatballs in and the chopped green pepper and simmer on low for another 10 minutes.


Serve with hot rice and a veggie if you like.  
As you can see, I made peas.

Do you have a treasured family recipe?  Or cookbook?

No comments: